Re: vsftp connection Problem

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 20:51 -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
> On 2/9/07, CH <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I am having a heck of a time getting vsftp working.  I tired google and
> > the info I found does not fix my problem.
> >
> > Here is what I get when I try to connect.
> > Connected to www.example.org:21
> > 220 Welcome to FTP service.
> > USER username
> >
> > 331 Please specify the password.
> > PASS xxxxxxxxxx
> > 230 Login successful.
> > SYST
> >
> > 215 UNIX Type: L8
> > TYPE I
> >
> > 200 Switching to Binary mode.
> >
> > Cannot create a data connection: No route to host
> > Disconnecting from site www.example.org
> >
> > I tired it locally too, but no dice.
> do you have any firewall running?
>
> FTP needs some UDP ports open, if so try to turn your firewall off and
> try again.

FTP doesn't use UDP.  It does, however, open other data connections and
a firewall will generally block it.  If you want to use iptables, then
you must make changes to your iptables configuration depending on
whether you use passive or active data connections.  You might want to
look at something like FireStarter to help you configure it.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-        Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.       -