Re: Livna repo broken?

Peter Gückel wrote:
On February 9, 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
That's either impossible or inefficient. There are two issues here -
Multiple multimedia frameworks or engines like xine and gstreamer. If I
dont use xine, I wouldnt want a package to require it as a dependency
just so as to satisfy my requirements for a gstreamer plugin. Also there
are multiple programs. I dont want to install Amarok plugins if I dont
use Amarok either. So a split makes sense for granularity.

I understand the xine/gstreamer distinction - they are likely in a different format, or something, hence incompatible.

But the ones using xine/mplayer codecs, couldn't they just all use /usr/lib/codecs and not be dependencies, so that they don't need to get upgraded every time the program does, and only when the actual codecs are upgraded?

That would work as long as the programs take into consideration the ABI of Xine and Gstreamer. For gstreamer there are well defined guidelines as well as the ability to install versions in parallel. I believe Xine is more volatile in that. If so a requirement on specific versions of Xine should fix that.

Rahul