Re: Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 13:34 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
> >
> > There have been over one million downloads of Fedora Core 6 and I can only
> > think of maybe four people on this list that have mentioned webcams.
> >
> > Do you suppose that since the driver developers get paid by the hardware
> > makers to write Windows drivers that they do it for that reason? They do it
> > for the money. And since you want free driver support for your free OS there
> > just might be very little incentive to pay to have drivers written for
> > Linux? For no money. I don't know what they are paying but I would think
> > that writing drivers for four people, give or take a few more, would not
> > even be be on the 'list of important things to do'.
> >
> > Think about this that way.
>
> Not going to make any headway. Remember what he wrote? You're just
> reinforcing his "they are all just greedy corporations!" argument.
----
I agree with you on this point. Corporations are entities that by
themselves do not make decisions. It is people that make the decisions
but of course their decisions are based on the speculative value of
return for the shareholders profit. At the end of your very correct fix
for my bad characterization, there is little difference.
----

> Besides, there are people who have volunteered to write drivers
> at no charge.
----
indeed
----

> Ultimately, it boils down to this: Logitech owns something. Craig
> wants that something. Logitech is (probably) willing to let Craig
> have it, but Craig is (probably) unwilling or unable to pay the price.
----
I don't recall saying any such thing in any way shape or form.

Craig