Re: SD card reader (Winbond)

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:33 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> I have one of those multi-memory-card readers on my box, it connects
>> to a USB port.
>
> Just to clarify, it's not a Winbond one (as far as I know), it's just a
> card reader.  By "one-of-those" I wasn't referring to a brand in
> particular.

Some laptops have a reader build in. It is a device on the PCI bus,
and not a USB device. Winbond is one of the chipsets used to for
this. What complicates things is that it is a multi-function chip,
and you have to put it in the correct mode, and then properly access
it in order to read cards. Depending on the chipset, you may also
need to write specific registers on the chip to select the type of
memory card you want to read.

My experience is with the TI chipset. It used to work with the
mmc_blk and sdhci modules. With the 2.6.19 kernels, it uses the tifm
modules. The same PCI device also handles my Cardbus slot, and
Firewire connection.

Mikkel