xterm strangeness

hello,

I am using xterm as a terminal emulator. It is configured to have a light background and a dark foreground

XTerm*Background: #DEDFCE
XTerm*Foreground: black

in the same time I have my vi editor set to colorscheme "impact" which has a black background. Everything was fine for a long time, but after a recent update of xterm (my guess is couple weeks ago) something has changed and now when I quit vi, the console is not refreshed and the lines that have no text remain black. In the same time black text appears on a light background. All this looks really weird and disappears if I clear the console with Ctrl+L. But it is really annoying, especially when I know that it is not normal behaviour.

Does anyone know some "magic" parameter somewhere in configs, that I can toggle so everything comes back to normal state?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./