via rhine vs D3

I have a diskless via epia m10K with a via-rhine network chip. This
chip had buggy firmware, so that when the system is shut down cleanly
(into D3 state according to the kernel code, though I'm not sure what
that means), the firmware is switched off and does not become active
again until re-started from the OS. On a diskfull setup this probably
doesn't matter, but on a diskless client trying to boot from the
network this is a significant problem.

Fortunately the kernel developers have realised that via aren't going
to fix their firmware and have added a patch that stops the kernel
going to D3 state when given the appropriate parameter. From the code
I see this:

/* Work-around for broken BIOSes: they are unable to get the chip back out of
  power state D3 so PXE booting fails. bootparam(7): via-rhine.avoid_D3=1 */

My question is: where do I supply this parameter. I've tried adding
"via-rhine.avoid_D3=1" to the boot stanza, but it is explicitly
ignored when the system boots. Similarly I've tried adding

options via-rhine avoid_D3=1

to /etc/modprobe.conf

This doesn't generate any error messages but doesn't seem to help.

Of course, as this is diskless I suspect the option has to go into the
initrd.img.

Any help would be appreciated, especially pointers to documention.

Regards,

Chris