Can't boot 2.6.20, get /dev/root error.

OK, this has got to be something I missed, but I dont see any mention
in the Readme nor the /Documentation file that come with 2.6.20

The build of 2.6.20 goes without any problems (the only config change I
made was to change from 586 -> Pentium4), but when  I try to boot, I get
a few lines, and then the message

    Unable to access resume device (/dev/sda5)
    mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
    < 4 more lines with setuproot and switchroot >

and then

    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!

So, I dont understand, - /dev/sda5 (mentioned above) is my swap device,
and I have no /dev/root, should I? Havent needed it before.

What do I need to change/add to get this to boot?

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@xxxxxxx