Re: Well guys the writing is on the wall !!

On Wed February 7 2007, Ric Moore wrote:
> Thanks Claude, I just got the CD and shall give it a install whirl. The
> blag list is remarkably quiet. The guy who put it together must be doing
> a great job.

Jeff IS doing a great job, but that's not why the list is quiet. Most of the
community interaction occurs on the forum, not on the list - Personally, I
hate forums - I like to get those messages in my mailbox, keep them,
highlight them, organize them, archive them, search them - they come to me, I
don't have to go to them - but, that's me.

> Think it'll install to my old PIII or should I just give it
> what? A hundred gigs on Big Un? More? Less?

It's Fedora  6 with a bit of added pizazz - it has a lot of extra creative
content creation packages in its repos, and if you want to play with those,
I'd say go with the power - you would far prefer learning Cinelerra on a fast
machine, for example.

By the way, to get back to the subject line; knowing your video projects you
have going, I'm finally getting round to really working with Cinelerra. It's
a bit of a struggle to get over the early hurdles, but I'm getting enthused.
I've captured a one hour miniDV tape with Kino, and I'm currently working on
my first video editing project with totally free software - on this box, it's
really nice - I'm running a dual-core 2.66 MHz with 1 GB of ram and SATA
drives, and this is a world of difference from my old 2 GHz P4 box. It's hard
enough figuring out the architecture of the software without wasting time
trying to figure out whether your problems are coming from insufficient
hardware, so, I would say go for it. Jeff's repo combines packages from
Fedora Core and Extras, Dries, Freshrpms, Livna, CCRMA, and a number of
packages he's built himself - so everything just works without having to
worry about the repo-incompatibilities - you have to go outside of his repo
for 'non-free' stuff because he does adhere to the Fedora no-non-free
software philosophy - I'm using nvidia drivers from freshrpms, which are
great because you don't have to mess with kernel-modules everytime a new
kernel comes out. I'm also running vmware and acroread, and I've enabled
Windows Media playback by loading the all-codecs package from the mplayer
site - that's about it. Everything else is blag - I've got two FC6 boxes and
two blag boxes, and for day to day operations, they are indistinguishable.
Jeff is running a specialized distro for a limited audience, so he doesn't
have the global broader requirements for meeting the needs of the much larger
audience that Fedora does, so, don't take this as an endorsement of some
superiority of blag over Fedora - they're slightly different, and both are
great. In my corner of the OS world, I'm hoping for Linux to get into the
same ballpark with regards to content creation and the new media(s) as the
Windows world - I'd say things are looking up. I think we'll see a Linux
version of Glasgow soon, which just may get into the same league as Photoshop
in many areas; I'm watching Jahshaka closely, as they are about to release a
major rewrite of their code with version 3; Cinelerra has a very active
developer base and is undergoing rapid development; I wish there were better
web authoring packages - NVU appears to have died, and it wasn't all that
great to begin with - I just can't get wrapped around Quanta and I don't have
the right brain for doing web authoring from code. Audio has a number of
wonderful projects ongoing - they're all in blag, by the way. But, I'm
digressing, though not from the subject line....

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA