Re: LaTeX question about nested lists

Jack Byers     byersj@xxxxxxxxxxx

Dean S.  Messing" <deanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote

| I'm trying to create a bulleted outline that goes deeper
| Ithan six levels.  The LeTeX "list" environment only lets
| Iyou go to six levels.  I've failed to find any LaTeX
| Ipackages that extend this or define a new environment that
|is of arbitary depth.

| Do any of you know of a solution, short of just "hand
|  indenting" the items?  Note: the items in the list must
| have "bullets" associated with them that are different
| Ifor different levels.

the following works in plain Tex
it took me a few hours actually, trying to remember some of this stuff
it takes off from the TexBook definitions of  \item and \itemitem
page 355

\magnification=1200
\parindent=20pt

\def\itemthree{\par\indent\indent \hangindent 3\parindent \textindent}
\def\itemfour{\par\indent\indent\indent \hangindent 4\parindent \textindent}
\def\itemfive{\par\indent\indent\indent\indent \hangindent 5\parindent \textindent} \def\itemsix{\par \indent\indent\indent\indent\indent \hangindent 6\parindent \textindent} \def\itemseven{\par \indent\indent\indent\indent\indent\indent \hangindent 7\parindent \textindent}

\item{1} item
\itemitem{2} itemitem
\itemthree{3} itemthree
\itemfour{4} itemfour
\itemfive{5} itemfive
\itemsix{6} itemsix
\itemseven{7} itemseven

%% those test small bits of text to seven levels

%% the following tests  longer text  to see if it is wrapped corrrectly

\item{1} item yyyyyyyyyadaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh \itemitem{2} itemitem yadddddahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

\itemthree{3} itemthree 2indent hadahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

\itemfour{4} itemfour 3indent yadddddddaaaaaa aahhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhaaaa aaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

\itemfive{5} itemfive hadahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh \itemsix{6} itemsix 5indent hadahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh hhhhh \itemseven{7} itemseven 6indent hadahhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh hh hhhhhhhhhhh

\bye

I used to be a lot better at TeX;  this seems to work but is not elegant

hth
Jack

Talk now to your Hotmail contacts with Windows Live Messenger. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview