Re: WARNING - Possible Data Corruption

John Wendel wrote:

I just saw what appears to be a data corruption problem on one of my boxes. I'm not sure at this point exactly whats happening, but I thought I'd warn people that there might be a problem.

Software

Latest FC6 with updates as of last night, running 2.6.19.***. No LVM, no raid, 3 drives, 1 IDE, 2 SATA.

Hardware

Older Intel P4 on a VIA based motherboard. This system has been totally stable for about 2 years and I use it daily without seeing any problems.

[1] Seagate IDE drive on a VIA 8235 controller, system boots from this disk and it holds the /home partition.

[2] Maxtor SATA drive on a Promise TX2300 controller mounted on "data2" in my home directory.

What I saw

On the IDE drive, in my home directory, I have a directory ("DVD") holding three dvd ISO images. I wanted to move the images to the SATA drive because the IDE drive was getting full (80% used).

I copied ("cp -a DVD data2/DVD") the 3 DVD images (27 GB) from the IDE drive to the SATA drive. After the copy, I did a "du" in the source and destination directories. All of the destination files were smaller than the source files. I checked /var/log/messages and didn't see any errors.

At that point, I had to leave for work, so I haven't done any more investigation. When I get back home, I'll of course retry the copy.

Anybody got any clues about what I should look for / try next?

Thanks,

John

I have found that disk usage varies with different sized disks- are the SATA drives considerably larger than the IDE drive you copied from?

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk@xxxxxxx
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.