Re: more ram added. How to adjust my system.

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 13:28 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > > $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > > processor	: 0
> <snip>
> > > flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> > > pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc up pni
> > > monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
> > > bogomips	: 6789.41
> >
> > You -might- want to enable HT (hyper threading) in the machine's BIOS,
> > and test the performance.
> > Some applications get a nice 10-15% boost by enabling Hyper Threading.
>
> Unfortunately, the "ht" flag just means that the machine supports the
> hyperthreading way of checking how many logical processors there are in
> the machine. In this case, I believe that the absence of the "siblings"
> field means that the processor doesn't actually support more than one
> logical processor (effectively, it doesn't support hyperthreading).
>
> > Either way, switching to x86_64 should improve the performance somewhat.
> > (x86_64 doesn't require high-memory support - which should reduce the
> > over-head somewhat)
>
> Similarly, I think you need the "lm" flag for 64 bit mode.
>
> I'd agree with your other suggestions. Linux should be able to make full
> use of available memory without manual reconfiguration.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

I'm not sure.
As far as I remember (...Intel never bothered to release a
Family/Model/Stepping table),
15/3/4 (Family/Model/stepping) is a Prescott core. (Notice the pni in
the end of CPU features).
While it may be an older Celeron core (which lacked AMD x86_64 support)
- as far as I remember, it did include HT support.

- Gilboa