Re: more ram added. How to adjust my system.

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > processor	: 0
<snip>
> > flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> > pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc up pni
> > monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
> > bogomips	: 6789.41
>
> You -might- want to enable HT (hyper threading) in the machine's BIOS,
> and test the performance.
> Some applications get a nice 10-15% boost by enabling Hyper Threading.

Unfortunately, the "ht" flag just means that the machine supports the
hyperthreading way of checking how many logical processors there are in
the machine. In this case, I believe that the absence of the "siblings"
field means that the processor doesn't actually support more than one
logical processor (effectively, it doesn't support hyperthreading).

> Either way, switching to x86_64 should improve the performance somewhat.
> (x86_64 doesn't require high-memory support - which should reduce the
> over-head somewhat)

Similarly, I think you need the "lm" flag for 64 bit mode.

I'd agree with your other suggestions. Linux should be able to make full
use of available memory without manual reconfiguration.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
aprilcottage.co.uk | walks on water. Although it's true that Barry Cryer runs