Re: Security Updates -- Are they necessary in Linux for user?

Benjamin Sher escribió:
Dear friends:

After installing Fedora and rebooting, I found myself facing the task of installing 213 security updates with Update Manager. It took nearly 2 hours to download and install them. Since I am the only one using my Linux OS (as a user, of course), why do I need to worry about security. Am I not protected by the root/user system. What's your opinion? Please advise.

I can assure you that not even 10% of those packages where really security updates. They were plain updates.

Now, for your question, YES, security updates are important, even when it's your home computer (see how many home windows computers get infected, even behind a firewall.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA