Re: pine program and mail services with FC6 System

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:13 +0800, edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I just download and install the pine
>
> Now, I want to know how to disable the function (except for pine and
> pico) of pine and enable the function (imap/pop3) of dovcot
> (/etc/dovecot.conf) come with FC6 System for WebMail System (eg :
> http://www.horde.org/imp/4.1/)?

Pine is a standalone mail client.  Unless you actually run it, it does
nothing.  Even if you do run it, it has no bearing on the ability of
Dovecot to do its job.

Dovecot is a standalone mail server.  Unless you actually start it up,
it does nothing.  And again, you don't have to do anything to Pine to
use or not use Dovecot.

The two of them have nothing to do with each other, software-wise.

By the looks of things, all you'll need to do is run pico when you want
to edit text files, set up Dovecot for your local mail, set up Horde to
suit the mail server you want it to use (your local Dovecot
installation).

You might want to write back with any specific questions you have about
setting them up, and letting us know how far you've got on your own.
Mind you, it was back on FC4 that I set up Dovecot, even longer since
I've used Pine, and I haven't ever set up Horde (I did once set up
another webmail service on Fedora or Red Hat Linux, I don't recall it
being particularly difficult).  So it's probably someone else who'll
answer.

I read messages from the public lists.