Re: Wi[r]eless security (was: Suspend bug)

Les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sounds like you did your "home" work.  Sorry about the bad pun.  But it
is illuminating just how much the signals can penetrate and how far they
can be detected, isn't it.  The range also changes if one were to place
a pre-amp and directional antenna on the card (as some war drivers do).

Regards,
Les H
Oh, come on.  That's not a bad pun.  Bad puns are REAL groaners.

I didn't realize that WEP had become as vulnerable as it seems to be. I was also going on the assumption that the little traffic I generate would make WEP key recovery difficult. It seems that current cracking tools are able elicit traffic from an AP without connecting such that the key can be recovered without seeing any traffic that I actually generate. I guess the behavior isn't that surprising given how easily wireless stuff connects.

Looks like I need to bump the priority on implementing WPA.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce