Re: Installation problem of FC6

Rick Stevens wrote:
> And I'd think long and hard before I'd install telnet since it is
> completely insecure and one of the easiest protocols to hack.  If your
> machine even BRUSHES up against the Internet, do NOT have telnet
> installed!  You're asking for trouble.

First off, any network daemon that is open to connections is a security
problem, simply because it will contain bugs and they may well be
exploitable.

That said, an unused telnet daemon is inherently *more* secure than an
unused SSH daemon with password logins enabled -- the protocol is much
simpler, and there's much less code that has to be run against
unauthenticated connections. Less code means there's less places for
bugs to hide.

The only -- only -- security advantage that password-based SSH has over
telnet is that SSH connections are encrypted and hence can't be
eavesdropped. [1] If there are no connections, then there is no
advantage to SSH (either over telnet or a machine that doesn't run any
un-needed services). If those connections are secured some other way
(e.g. a VPN) then a telnet connection is not inherently insecure.

And there are other protocols (e.g. traditional NFS, or rsh) that are a
lot more insecure, since they *can* be compromised without
password-sniffing.

Having said all *that*, SSH with public key authorisation does have very
real security advantages, and SSH can be a good bit more convenient.

The telnet *client* does have uses beyond connecting to telnet
servers -- it's very useful when troubleshooting certain sorts of e-mail
problems, for example.

My sig-monster's on the ball again...

James.

[1] Please -- this is not an invitation to re-open the NSA thread!
--
E-mail:     james@ |  ... more holes in Internet Explorer than Blackburn,
aprilcottage.co.uk | Lancashire...