Re: Installation problem of FC6

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 20:12 +0800, edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:

> > > Yum installs from the Internet, rpm installs from disk.
> > >

> > Yum installs from a repository, which may be on the internet or local.  See
> > Paul Howarth's <http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages>.  Note that
> > "yum localinstall" still resolves any dependencies from the selected
> > repositories, which by default is over the Internet.
> >
> Dear All,
>
> Would you mind to help ?
>
> [root@svr1 fc6]# yum localinstall telnet*.rpm
> Setting up Local Package Process
> Examining telnet-0.17-37.i386.rpm: telnet - 1:0.17-37.i386
> Examining telnet-server-0.17-37.i386.rpm: telnet-server -
> 1:0.17-37.i386
> Marking telnet-server-0.17-37.i386.rpm to be installed
> Setting up repositories
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=c
> ore-6&arch=i386 error was
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name
> resolution')>
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
> [root@svr1 fc6]#
>
> What's problem I had ?

You're either not connected to the Internet or your DNS servers weren't
able to resolve mirrors.fedoraproject.org.  Remember, even a
"localinstall" will try to use the various repos to resolve
requirements.  If you want a completely local install:

	yum localinstall --disablerepo=* name-of-RPM.rpm

And I'd think long and hard before I'd install telnet since it is
completely insecure and one of the easiest protocols to hack.  If your
machine even BRUSHES up against the Internet, do NOT have telnet
installed!  You're asking for trouble.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -