Re: system hangs with all-generic-ide & irqpoll

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:09:41 -0800 (PST)
David Scriven <davidwriter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I was hoping that the latest release of the kernel (2.6.19-1.2985)
> >> would detect the ide components without using the
> >> "all-generic-ide" & "irqpoll" options, but alas, no - is this
> >> something for bugzilla?
> >
> >Depends what the chip in question is for the all-generic-ide bit,
> >for the irqpoll part its almost certainly between you and your BIOS
> >vendor and nothing to do with the irq code.
>
> I'm not sure what the answer to your question is - the board in
> question is the DG965RY and the  only details I have are
> from their website:
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DG965RY/index.htm
>   and
> http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/ry/ry_available.htm
>
> so  I have no idea what chip actually drives the ide section - as
> for the BIOS, it is Intel's latest for that board.
>
> To be honest I have no idea what the options actually do - when
> I ran into trouble I looked on the net for an answer that worked,
> and they do - up to a point - the ide components are recognised
> but the system is unstable.
>
> DS

I use a DG965WH board and have the same problems. Recently I don't need
the irqpoll anymore. Don't know why.
The Ide -chip is a  "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 6101"
according to lspci.
There have been some bugzilla entries for this, suggesting that a kernel
update had removed the problems. For me sofar no-good, neither for fc6
nor rawhide.
Also the support of ICH8, for sound especially seems minimal
Let's hope for some improvement.

Henk