Re: grub stops at the boot process

On Monday 05 February 2007 06:14, Francois wrote:

Hi,

this morning I posted that message :

> This morning I wanted to fire up my computer, but I can't, the boot
> process stops at the stage where grub should have displayed the menu
> allowing me to choose the OS to start (I have one HD with linux and one
> with Windows). Now, I see the command line
>    GNU Grub version 0.97 (638K lower / 3798967K upper memory)
>    (Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. etc..
>    grub>
> and that all.
> I don't know what to do to boot. It gives me all possible commands when I
> hit tab, but i dunno what to do.
> 4 days ago I increased my ram from 1 gigabyte to 4 gigabytes, but it
> booted fine those last days.

I booted using the boot rescue mode.
I found that the file grub.conf has a size of 0 byte :-( so it has been
deleted. don't know why.
I tried using a very old backup of a grub.conf file, to reboot, but my
system says it can't boot.
So I guess, but tell me if I'm wrong, I have to reinstall the boot loader.

The pb is that I don't remember which hard disk it has been installed.

fdisk -l gives me that :

Disk /dev/hda : 40,0 GB, etc...
Device    Boot   Start    End Blocks     Id    System
/dev/hda1  *        1        10   80293+   83   Linux
/dev/hda2           11     1285  etc....

Disk /dev/sda: 160,0 GB, etc...
Device    Boot   Start    End     Blocks       Id   System
/dev/sda1  *        1       19457  156288321 7 HPFS/NTFS

How do I know where to install the Bootloader ? HDA or SDA ?
The old backup, but ... I'm not sure this file comes from that system, said
#boot=/dev/hda

Thanks. Francois