Re: Tool for downloading video/audio files from YouTube

on 02/03/2007 03:20 PM Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
oh yeah, I gave it a try once. IMO this is really strange project. These guys
are trying to make their own player instead one that
already works reliably. Democracy lets you pull the .flv and .mov video
files from subscribed channels but does not play any of these > - just
crashes. In the same time mplayer, xine and vlc play those videos reliably
so why not to use them as a backend?

I think you did not understand.
First, I said I fixed their rpms. It does not crash playing videos anymore.
I've missed that. Where can I find that RPM? Or rather SRPM.

Second, they use xine or gstreamer engine to play the videos,
so xine or gstreamer? Is there a choice?

and third, the application uses bittorrent technology to download the videos
with a nice interface.
rtorrent has just perfect interface for me. Fancy stuff, sacrificing speed and reliability just because we all have got a plenty of GHz and MBytes does not look attractive to me at all.

Besides that, bittorent in this case does not speed up downloading the content at all. Probably the advantage is lower load on the remote servers but I don't feel any better from that. If I decided to watch some video (and these days I don't have that much time for videos) I want to see the progress bar moving, otherwise - I don't want to see that video.

Therefore, they offer a very good integration of open software tools. The
videos
are associated to channels, and any group of people can define a new
channel.

Is it experimental? Yes. Isn't it perfecet yet? Yes.
But I think it has a promising future.

If you mean this specific project then I strongly disagree. But I still hope to get my hands on that rpm :)

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./