RE: Need to give a presentation on the benefits of Linux

Those are great and will be appreciated!

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Smith
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 12:26 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Need to give a presentation on the benefits of Linux

Arch Willingham wrote:
> I am on a committee of a national organization called Associated
> General Contractors. ...
>
> I have to give a brief presentation this Saturday on Linux to my
> fellow committee members.

Contractors? Hmm... why not put it in terms they can identify with (and
have a little fun--shamelessly stolen from various OS/programming gags):

Microsoft "Saw":

* Comes free with $750 purchase of lumber and acceptance of user license
agreement. Lumber may only be used with MS "Saw".

MS "Saw" must be activated by calling MS before use. You also agree to
allow MS "Saw" to contact MS when you're not looking and report on who's
using it, where and how it is being used, and well, whatever else we'd
like to know.

* MS "Saw" never needs complicated maintenance or blade replacement.
Should the blade become dull, you can try "rebooting" MS "Saw" by
unplugging and re-plugging it. If that doesn't help, you can simply
purchase an upgrade to the next new release.

* Choose from 128 colors that look just like your kid's crayons!

* MS "Saw" requires no training to use, or complicated plans to follow:
you just "play around with it until it looks ok." (However, if you lose
a finger or someone gets hurt on your poorly-built deck, remember: we
have way more lawyers than you. Ask how you can purchase a "MS Certified
Sawing Engineer" badge.)

* MS "Saw" (Home Basic) can cut lumber to any size, from 12" to 18" in
1" increments. To cut longer or shorter sizes, you must upgrade to "Saw
Premium". To cut lengths more precise than 1", you must upgrade to "Saw
Extra Precision" (good to 1/4") or "Saw Professional" (1/16").

For arbitrary length and precision, you will need MS "Saw Enterprise
Edition" and you must purchase a "Contractor Access License" for each
and every project with such requirements. "Saw Professional" and "Saw
Enterprise" will refuse to function during evenings or weekends.

What about the Linux saw?

* Completely free, no licenses, no expensive extras. You may have to
make your own blades--but it's fun.

* Comes with hand-crank power module, good for almost 20 seconds of use.

Ok, I got a little carried away; you get the idea.

I guess it would go over like a lead balloon if your audience worships
Bill Gates, or can't appreciate geek humor. Oh, wait...

Joking aside, you could make a point with something like this (not as
long of course). As I see it, Linux is a lot like a standard power tool
that you own and use however you like, no strings attached, to the best
of your training, imagination and ability.

<Joe