Re: Process for file protocol died unexpectedly// Session errors...// KDE restore session

Comments at the bottom.

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 10:13 -0800, Les wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 10:49 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> > Any ideas ?
> > > I'm getting a "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly" when
> > > I log into my Linux box.
> > >
> > > When I log in, my desktop has no icons.  As soon as I do anything with a
> > > desktop file, it refeshes and the icons appear.  (For example, right
> > > click->new->folder.)
> > >
> > > Also, my .xsession-errors file has literally hundreds of  "+QFile::open:
> > > No file name specified" errors in it.  Furthermore, whenever I do
> > > anything on the desktop, like move an icon, about 20 more such error
> > > messages occur.
> > >
> > > I think the problem originated when I accidentally filled my hard drive.
> > > Since then I have freed up a bunch of space.  I've also run fsck and its
> > > fine error wise.
> > >
> > > I suspect that KDE is trying to open a file that was used in a previous
> > > session, maybe when my computer shut down from a full hard drive.  How
> > > does one wipe all the previous session info so that KDE doesnt do a
> > > "restore session" operation ?
> > >
> Hi, Kim,
> 	I only use Gnome, so I cannot comment on KDE.  However, have you
> rebooted the system?

Yes.

>  When a disk fills up, things can be hosed in
> temporary files, and in the tmp directory affected by the overwrite or a
> file not properly terminated (due to the fill up issue).  A reboot will
> sometimes clear these files and let things re-initialize.

It hasn't.  I agree the issue is in a messed up file somewhere, but how
would I find it ?  One thing I notice is that I have a folder on my
desktop for my home directory. Its named "~" if that makes any
difference.  The thing I notice about it is that its misplaced every
time I start a new session.  I always move it to its proper location on
the desktop and yet every time I start a new session, its in the wrong
place.

> Another issue is whether or not you have a VM running (VMWare or some
> other VM such as JAVA can occasionally be badly messed up by a full file
> system.) You may have to terminate the VM by hand and restart it to get
> it to fully initialize.

hmmm, yeah, I was running Java.

But there doesn't seem to be anything running now.

$ ps aux | grep vm
xxx     6542  0.0  0.0   3880   676 pts/1    S+   11:04   0:00 grep vm
$ ps aux | grep VM
xxx     6544  0.0  0.0   3880   676 pts/1    S+   11:04   0:00 grep VM
$ ps aux | grep java
xxx     6546  0.0  0.0   3884   680 pts/1    S+   11:05   0:00 grep java

Any other ideas ?

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.