Re: FC6 not connecting -- amplification

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:17:11 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 16:58 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
[...]
>> > So verify that the "e100" driver is loaded via "/sbin/lsmod".
>>
>> All right, making assurance doubly sure, I logged in using "su - root"
>> *and* did cd before /sbin/lsmod.
>>
>> I see columns labelled Module, Size, and Used by. "e100" is not mentioned
>> in any of them -- and without a Net connection, I have no way to download
>> anything. Can I get it off the CDs, as I must have been doing before?
>
> It should have been installed by default.  Verify that you have the
> following file on the system:
>
> 	/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/e100.ko
>
> (yes, those are graves or "backticks"--the other character on the "~"
> key).

I think I must have retyped that correctly, because bash turned the uname
part into "2.6.19-1.2895.fc6" and left the rest. But I also think I do not
have it, because bash then added ":No such file or directory"

> If you do have the file, then (as root via the "su -") try this
> command:
>
> 	modprobe e100
>
> to force the driver to load.

I tried that anyway, and sure enough (I think) it responded with a line
saying "-bash: modeprobe: command not found"

I did the install, as usual, in custom mode -- and tried to leave out
games, chat, and anything else I thought surely I'd never use (but took
lots of development stuff, because I do run betas like Pan and Dillo).
This has been my usual practice for years -- only, this time, I must have
mis-guessed something inessential that I should have taken.

Or this may be the same machine on which recently I got so snarled up in
yum dependency hell that I finally commanded "yum remove elfutils" -- and
didn't read the list of other things it would remove carefully enough. (I
don't think it is. I think I just gave up, wiped that install with DBAN,
and installed again.)

Anybody know a straightforward way to get it from the CDs?

Or failing that, if I have to do the whole install over, what in
particular (besides elfutils) should I make a particular point of getting?

Fedora Core 6; CXO 5.0.1; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.119; Privoxy 3.0.3;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.16, Opera 9.02, Firefox 1.5