Re: FC6 not connecting -- amplification

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 20:27 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:48:15 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
> > You have to enable it to boot at startup or enable it through the
> > interface. I believe either typing neat or system-config-network or
> > getting to it through the system/administration/network menu would allow
> > you to adjust the settings.
>
> OK, typing "neat" and <enter> from a root prompt gets the GUI I've been
> mostly using. Clicking the activate mark, with either eth0 or eth1
> highlighted, gets me an error message saying the device seems not to be
> present.
>
> > It should also tell you under the hardware tab what type of network card
> > it thinks you have on the computer.
>
> On that tab, it calls eth0 an Intel EthernetExpress/100 drive -- and eth1
> a 3Com 3c501 -- and says both are configured. The IPSec tab, btw, shows a
> check mark under Profile, Host2Host under Type, 192.168.x.y (the correct
> number, under which I access the router from any browser on any other
> machine) under Destination, and "netgear" -- the nickname I gave the
> router yesterday -- under Nickname.
>
> > In the DNS tab should be your hostname, primary and secondary DNS and
> > the search path for the DNS.
>
> Everything there was blank. I simply copied verbatim from what I see on a
> connecting machine.
>
> It still wouldn't simply activate either eth, but did tell me (as it has
> so often) that I might want to restart network services or the machine.
> The command "services network restart" gets me only an error saying it's
> not recognized. I rebooted. /sbin/ifconfig after the reboot still shows
> only the loopback running, with no mention of ethX.
>
> > My logic is that it must have configured some type of card since you
> > said that you could choose static or DHCP.
> >
> > If you highlight the device and choose edit, you should see a checkmark
> > next to the "Activate device when computer starts"
>
> Yup. I do.
>
> > For the other choice, it should be set to "automatically obtain IP
> > address settings with dhcp"
>
> Yup. It is.
>
> > For finding out the type of NIC is using from the command terninal,
> > lspci should show all the info for your PCI devices.
>
> lspci as root still shows me only "bash: lspci: command not found"
>
> > To find out the driver loaded for the card, lsmod should show you which
> > module driver was loaded for the card.
>
> again, not found. The first character in each of those *is* lower case L,
> isn't it, not the number 1??

Yes, "lima-sierra-papa-charlie-india".  Keep in mind that most of these
commands are intended to be run as root with root's environment and path
(e.g. a normal user does not have "/sbin" in his/her path).

If you (as a normal user) simply did an "su" to become root then you
won't have root's environment.  You must use "su -" ("su-space-dash")
to get root's environment and path as well as becoming root.  In any
case, you should be able to run the command as "/sbin/lspci".

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-     Squawk!  Pieces of Seven!  Pieces of Seven!  Parity Error!     -