Re: where did server settings go in FC6?

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Claude Jones wrote:

On Sun January 28 2007, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
Oh, right.  Now I recall later RHL or early FC releases had a "Start Here"
icon on the desktop.  Opening it opened a window with the system-config-*
menu entries.  There was a corresponding menu entry that would open the
same window.

I guess Rahul has explained where it went and what its possible future is.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who misunderstood what you were looking
for, though.

Actually, Matthew, you're still not getting the right item. I have it right
here on my desktop, recommended to me by Rahul many months ago. It's a single
click menu-item, "System Control Center" it's called in the version I've got.
It does just what Ric has been describing - it doesn't open a window with
menu entries. It opens a GUI with icons and tabs; each tab window has a
subset of buttons with icons and text for each of the system-config utilities
you have installed. I thought it was broken on this box but it turns out it's
not - I have it open here as I'm typing. The seven tabs are
labelled 'Software' 'Hardware' 'System' 'Network' 'Server' 'Securities and
Users' and 'Misc' - there are a total of 31 buttons on the various tab pages
corresponding to the system-config and some other utilities installed on my
system - clicking on a button opens a separate GUI corresponding to the
function you selected.

Actually, I have the right item, but unclear description. Should have written "...opeened a window with icons representing the menu entries...". I didn't remember the tabs, but then, they say the memory is the second thing to go...

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu