Re: where did server settings go in FC6?

On Sun January 28 2007, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Oh, right.  Now I recall later RHL or early FC releases had a "Start Here"
> icon on the desktop.  Opening it opened a window with the system-config-*
> menu entries.  There was a corresponding menu entry that would open the
> same window.
>
> I guess Rahul has explained where it went and what its possible future is.
>
> Apparently, I'm not the only one who misunderstood what you were looking
> for, though.

Actually, Matthew, you're still not getting the right item. I have it right
here on my desktop, recommended to me by Rahul many months ago. It's a single
click menu-item, "System Control Center" it's called in the version I've got.
It does just what Ric has been describing - it doesn't open a window with
menu entries. It opens a GUI with icons and tabs; each tab window has a
subset of buttons with icons and text for each of the system-config utilities
you have installed. I thought it was broken on this box but it turns out it's
not - I have it open here as I'm typing. The seven tabs are
labelled 'Software' 'Hardware' 'System' 'Network' 'Server' 'Securities and
Users' and 'Misc' - there are a total of 31 buttons on the various tab pages
corresponding to the system-config and some other utilities installed on my
system - clicking on a button opens a separate GUI corresponding to the
function you selected.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA