fstab messed up: stuck in boot process; help needed!

Hi,

By accident I have put an entry to /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2 in my
/etc/fstab, although there's no 2nd harddisk in my system.
When I rebooted, the boot process gets stuck during or
after the fsck and stops with the message to enter the
root password for maintenance.
When I do that, I get the prompt "(Repair filesystem)".

I thought I now simply edit and correct the /etc/fstab file and
reboot; but, damn, the root filesystem is mounted as readonly.
Whatever I do, it remains readonly.

Actually, I find this a rather silly situation: I get a readonly
filesystem for maintenance. What the hack can that help me....

Anyway, can someone please tell me what to do in this case.

Thank you very much!
Rob.

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.