Re: Getting people to say nice things about Microsoft (Linspire repo) <OT>

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 07:46 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 04:46 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> > > Yes it is....
> >
> > Nice?
> >
> > > Blind people can rag on blind people, the hearing impaired can rag on the
> > > hearing impaired, and the old people can rag on the old people.  Nothing
> > > nice or un-nice about.
> >
> > Ah, how about wrong? I cannot see any sort of occasion that could excuse
> > anyone of a "rag" on another. Sounds a lot like "Nag". That's my
> > perception.
> >
> > > Next thing you know some folks will be putting up
> > > slide shows of their vacations.
> >
> > And?
> >
> > > So, I'm offering some folks their own mailing list.
> >
> > Well, I for one don't want it.
> >
> > Is there no joy, fun or the juice of life and being alive in you? Your
> > life must be free from fun, pretty damn miserable and I feel for ya and
> > those around ya. But, I don't want to like ya.
> ----
> as expressed in a private e-mail to you...
>
> It's not your off topic comments because they are original and often
> quite entertaining. It's the people that want to pile on to your
> comments containing none of your wit, none of your originality (i.e.
> quoting from a book) and thus morph a thread of some value to the list
> readers into a thread of diminishing value.

He asked that we mark such off-topic posts <OT> and that point is
perfectly valid. I apologize for not doing so. We used <TID> in the
Caldera list for "Thread is Deteriorating" for folks with the filters to
use to keep the noise level down. That worked and it would be better if
we did the same here using <OT> and then those of us more socially
inclined can post our personal snippets without offending those who do
not wish to join in. Perfectly sensible. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net