Re: How to set up mirrors in Smart Package Manager?

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 22:25 -0500, oleksandr korneta wrote:

> on 01/23/2007 07:42 AM Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Hi, people
> >
> > Tired of the well known yum/yumex incredible slowness, I'm experimenting with
> > Smart Package Manager. I must say I'm impressed with some of its
> > capabilities, like the fast parallel download of files, the possibility to
> > revert a package to an older version from within the GUI, to use a directory
> > with a bunch of RPMs as a repo and to easily set up removable repos, among
> > others useful features. Not having to download and rebuild the package
> > catalogs every time you run the program or install a package saves much time
> > too.
> > However, I did not understand very well how to configure mirrors for channels.
> > My doubts are the following:
> > 1. Is there a way to use a mirrorlist URL, like yum?
> > 2. What is the difference between adding a mirror channel (Edit -> Channels ->
> > New -> Provide channel information -> Mirror Information) and adding a mirror
> > (Edit -> Mirrors -> New)?
> > 3. How to use the first of the above mentioned options?
> >     3.1. Should I add a mirror channel for each mirror of a repo or just one
> >            channel for all of them?
> >     3.2. How should I use the "File URL" field? Is this a local path to a text
> >            file with the mirrors' informations? How should this file be
> >            formated?
> >     3.3. If a mirror channel for each mirror should be added, their name
> >            should all be the same? And in this case, what should I fill up in
> >            "File URL"?
> > 4. About "Edit -> Mirrors -> New", do I have to fill up the channel URL
> > in "Origin URL" and the mirror URL in "Mirror URL" for each mirror of the
> > same repo, one by one? Isn't there a better way to add mirrors?
>
> I cant really answer any of your questions, but just want to mention
> that I am using smart for almost 2 years with fedora (after apt4rpm yum
> makes me sick) and I never bothered to set any additional mirrors for
> the channels. I didnt manage to find any ready-to-use configuration and
> I am too lazy to do it completely myself. But I found that smart works
> just fine even without this. Of course there was couple times when the
> default mirror was down, but It came back up later and I didnt have to
> worry much about that.
>
> sorry for
I don't understand you post. When I install smart I don't get a livna
channel. When I try add  one I get in trouble because smart is not smart
enough to interpret the variables in the yum repo's baseurls. With the
livna channel one gets in trouble because it can't handle multiple
baseurls in the same channel (as yumex doesn't). It is certainly not as
intuitive to use as yumex is. I can't understand why smart does not have
a function to convert all the yum repos to channels automatically.
To me it is a real. pain but YMMD

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>