Re[3]: YUM: out-with-xalan & in-with-saxonB ??

Hi Pascal,

Good golly - that is incredibly helpful info. Thank you so much. I cc'd the Fedora group with your note as they may very well be others who can make good use of your instructions/example.

Best Wishes,

Lance Drake

My challenge now is to locate the CLASSPATH in question so as to be able to make that change from Xalan to SaxonB - which I will try to do.

As I understand it, you may need to setup the CLASSPATH yourself, if you are using jpackage. You have several options for this. You can create a new file called 'java.sh' in /etc/profile.d that contains the Jars that you want. Instructions on Stanton Finley's site will give you details on setting up Java, but you only need to pay attention to the part about java.sh (see http://stanton-finley.net/ fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html )

Note that this method will setup CLASSPATH system-wide, meaning that other users on your computer will also use the same CLASSPATH settings. My personal preference is to add the CLASSPATH line inside my home directory, in the file '.bash_profile'. This is what my .bash_profile looks like:

# ---------------------------------------------
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

#PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
# JAVA environment variables
JAVA_HOME=/opt/ibm/java2-i386-50
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

# DITA environment variables
ANT_HOME=/opt/apache-ant-1.6.5
ANT_OPTS="-Xmx256M"
PATH=$ANT_HOME/bin:$PATH

XALAN_HOME=/opt/xalan-j_2_7_0
FOP_HOME=/opt/fop-0.20.5

DITA_HOME=/home/chongym/DITA-OT1.3.1
CLASSPATH=$FOP_HOME/build/fop.jar:$FOP_HOME/lib/batik.jar:
$FOP_HOME/lib/avalon-f
ramework-cvs-20020806.jar:$XALAN_HOME/xalan.jar:$DITA_HOME/lib:
$DITA_HOME/lib/do
st.jar:$DITA_HOME/lib/resolver.jar:$CLASSPATH

export JAVA_HOME ANT_HOME ANT_OPTS PATH FOP_HOME XALAN_HOME DITA_HOME
CLASSPATH

Note that I am using Xalan here. If I wanted Saxon, I would simply add "SAXON_HOME=" and point it to the install directory for Saxon and add the jars to my CLASSPATH definition above.

HTH
pascal chong