Re: Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:24 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> I think with the power supply being low, the drive head will swing
> back and forth between park and seek, thus can heat up the drive.  Of
> course in todays newer drives, heat can be an issue without this.

You would have thought that some of the "intelligence" in IDE might have
put a voltage sensor in there, that made it shut down if it wasn't
operated with full voltage...  But that would be too sensible.

> If you demand it, you will get a good power supply.  Of course that
> good power supply can fail, as it did in my case.  The issue for me
> was that the warranty required me to ship it a certain way to the USA
> at my cost which would have been over 50% of the cost of a new power
> supply.  Thus the warranty was useless.

Yes, I've noticed that with quite a few things.  It's their escape
clause for doing warranty jobs.  I'd be arguing that broken devices was
entirely the manufacturer's fault, and their duty to pay.  There's a lot
of things that have a useless warranty where I live, simply because of
the expense you'd have to go through to send it away.

> I found an online power supply calculator that you put in the number
> of drives, fans, processor type and other accessories.  It would
> calculate the size of power supply needed.

I've seen one or two of those before.  They made me think of stereo
system salesman, the ones who push what *they* call a 800 Watt unit onto
clueless customers.  Some of the estimations seem a little exhorbitant.

 - You need a 500 Watt power supply.
 - What for?  I'm not trying to cook a roast with it...

I read messages from the public lists.