Re: Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 14:14 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 12:33 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> > I'm convinced that laptop hd failures are in large measure caused by
> > heat - poor engineering design in cooling provisions combined with
> > drives that run too hot are my current no. 1 suspect.
>
> I think that's a general problem.  Even in desktop cases, hard drives
> often run awfully hot.  They're often not bolted on to something that
> can help dissipate heat, and often don't have good air flow around them.
>
> I rearranged things in an unreliable Windows machine so that a fan blew
> across a drive, and it went from being hot to mildly cool, and all the
> strange system errors disappeared at the same time.  I'm guessing due to
> either the drive producing errors while hot, or simply not being
> instantly readable on demand.

Tim, back to ohm's law, wouldn't low voltage also make it run hot???
With all of the crappy capacitors blowing up and power supplies really
needing to be of higher capacity with all the Geez Whiz! things now on
the motherboards, I'd sure look hard at that power supply and what it's
putting out, from my own experiences. Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net