Re: vmware

On 1/23/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Kam Leo wrote:
>>>
>>> Seriously, sloppyness on my part created an erroneous reference to
>>> vmware-config.pl. I should have referenced vmware-config-tools.pl.
>>
>> So, seriously, is your problem now solved?
>>
>> vmware-config-tools.pl refers to /etc/vmware-tools/.  vmware-config.pl
>> refers to /etc/vmware/.  Normally, a Linux host would have the former
>> and a Linux guest would have the latter, and not vice versa.  So it
>> still seems odd that you were running vmware-config.pl in a Linux guest
>> and getting any outcome other than "command not found" (unless, as you
>> say...).  And it still seems odd that you would have vmware-config.pl
>> anywhere and be missing /etc/vmware/.
>
> He doesn't have vmware-config.pl anywhere.  It was a TYPO.  He meant
> mware-config-tools.pl.  I think he has said that 3 times now in
> different ways.

Yeah, but his original complaint was about inability to find files in
/etc/vmware:

> The error message is "Unable to open the installer database
> /etc/vmware/locations in read-mode.".

vmware-config-tools.pl couldn't produce that error.  So I wanted to know
if he's still got that problem.

Chalk that up to operator error. I should not have used
vmware-any-any-update106. It's the wrong patch. I need to get a
vmware-tools-any-update patch to fix this problem.

FC6 VM is working just fine without the services of the vmxnet module.
The pcnet (?) driver will suffice until a patch is available.

                Matthew Saltzman