Re: vmware

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Kam Leo wrote:

On 1/22/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Kam Leo wrote:

>> > The situation is as follows:
>> >
>> > 1)  I have VMware Workstation 5.5.3 installed on a Windows 2000 host.
>> > 2)  FC6 is a guest VM.
>> > 3)  I'm trying to configure VMware Tools on the guest VM (FC6) for the
>> > 2.6.19 kernel.
>> > 4)  vmware-config.pl is a script which is included with VMware Tools,
>> > a utility provided with VMware Workstation.  VMware Tools is packaged
>> > both in rpm and tar formats.
>>
>> it's called 'vmware-config-tools.pl' actually
>
> Thanks. You're correct. I may be getting into a bad habit of relying
> on bash's tab-completion feature and in the process overlooking the
> entire command.

In fact, you shouldn't have vmware-config.pl anywhere on a guest unless
you are planning to run a nested guest (which may not even be possible).

If you installed the VMwareWorkstation RPM in your guest, you should
remove it.

Why? I might really be testing deep virtualization.

Seriously, sloppyness on my part created an erroneous reference to
vmware-config.pl. I should have referenced vmware-config-tools.pl.

So, seriously, is your problem now solved?

vmware-config-tools.pl refers to /etc/vmware-tools/. vmware-config.pl refers to /etc/vmware/. Normally, a Linux host would have the former and a Linux guest would have the latter, and not vice versa. So it still seems odd that you were running vmware-config.pl in a Linux guest and getting any outcome other than "command not found" (unless, as you say...). And it still seems odd that you would have vmware-config.pl anywhere and be missing /etc/vmware/.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu