Re: Kopete & video

Today Anne Wilson did spake thusly:

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 16:38, Scott van Looy wrote:
Today Gilboa Davara did spake thusly:
I'm guessing here, but it seems to me that both kopete and aMsn throttle
down the FPS if the upstream bandwidth is too low.

They send just as fast as they can...you get jerkiness because the
software shows you what the other person is seeing when you're connected
instead of just your video at full frame rate when you're disconnected,
same as MSN/Yahoo Messenger, etc do.

That sounds logical, but I used GnomeMeeting 3 years ago with a philips
webcam, and saw good colour rendition and smooth video.  I'm not seeing
anything like as good performance.  I accept that the webcam and its driver
may be a factor, but I couldn't get the old one to work with FC6.

No clue why the text may be slowing down, but if the driver's having to do nasty things in software it might be slowing things which wouldn't help. I dual boot and don't see much difference in speed between XP and webcam when it's running disconnected. Tho the colours make me wonder about my sanity ;)

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

fat electrons in the lines