Re: Change Document Format from Letter to A4

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 13:35 +1000, Ian Mortimer wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 14:34 +0000, Mark Knoop wrote:
>
> > Then it looks like acroread doesn't obey your locale settings. The OP
> > on this thread is using evince.
>
> acroread doesn't seem to obey any settings and doesn't (as far as I can
> tell) provide any way to save printer settings.  We get all sorts of
> weird default paper sizes from acroread (but never the correct one).
>
> If somebody's found a way to set a default paper size (and other default
> printing options) in acroread, I'd be pleased to hear about it.

There seems to be a bug in acroread ( version 7.0.9 ). It doesn't
acknowledge the setting for the DefaultPageSize. Instead acroread seems
to take the first listed pagesize option as the default setting. For
instance, the attached file snippet.txt shows a snippet of a PPD file on
the cups server. Although DefaultPageSize is set to A4 acroread chooses
A3 as default. By reversing the order as seen in the attached file
snippet-reversed-order.txt, acroread now takes A4 as default.

If your printer queue is called "hp", then you could try,

[root@cupsserver ~]# /etc/init.d/cups stop
[root@cupsserver ~]# emacs /etc/cups/ppd/hp.ppd
[root@cupsserver ~]# rm /etc/cups/ppds.dat
[root@cupsserver ~]# /etc/init.d/cups start

cheers,
Erik Sjölund
*DefaultPageSize: A4
*PageSize A3/A3: "
    <</DeferredMediaSelection true /PageSize [842 1191] /ImagingBBox null /MediaClass null>> setpagedevice"
*End
*PageSize A4/A4: "
        <</DeferredMediaSelection true /PageSize [595 842] /ImagingBBox null /MediaClass null>> setpagedevice"
*End
*DefaultPageSize: A4