Re: Enabling wireless on Dell laptop

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 06:37:14PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I'm not too shy to use Network Manager. I looked into Network Manager,
> but it's a bit beyond me. Would you excuse my request of hand-holding
> and hint me in the right direction? Or, better yet, a tutorial. I've
> not googled anything aimed at the naive first timer.

Well, assuming you're using GNOME:

this worked for me:

# yum -y install caching-nameserver NetworkManager-vpnc

# chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on
# chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on
# chkconfig --level 345 dhcdbd on
append to /etc/sysconfig/named :

    OPTIONS="-D"

(you may then need a reboot)

The nm applet should then appear, and if you click it, should give a list
of available APs. Click on your AP. If it requires authentication details,
then it should just prompt you for the details.

The only problem I have currently is that after a suspend, I have to kick
Netwok manager to make it see the wireless network again:

    # service NetworkManager restart

I got most of this from http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/nm.shtml,
although it only covers FC5

--