Re: Getting Fox News to work with Firefox

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 13:44 -0500, Arch Willingham wrote:
I don't remember which post it was but I saw one a while ago about someone else not being able to get the video to work with videos on Fox News.
I use FC6 and I had the same problem and found the solution at a place called greasemonkey.

To get Fox News video to work:

Install the firefox add-on greasemonkey:
http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

and then install the FoxNews Friendly Video script from the greasemonkey site: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1371, and it now works for me.

You can see the details toward the bottom of the following threads: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...hlight=foxnews
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233985&page=2

Am I the only one who finds this very frustration. To look at CNN news
you need one secret and FoxNews another secret, This does not speak well
for FC6 being a stable useful distribution. I know it is not supposed to
be. But there are limits it seems to me of how screwy even a Fedora
distribution is before it is worth releasing. And FC6 is the worst yet.
My FC4 and I assume my FC5 system can do both CNN news and FoxNews.
Are you sure? Well, of course you're sure, because it worked for you.

But I found FC4 fraught with "little things" that never worked right. From the Recent Documents list that purged itself with every logout, to the entries in "Recent Documents" that wouldn't register with the application they were supposed to open with, to the videos that never /did/ work--and how do you know it's FC6's fault?

No, the fault lies with content providers who won't agree to a fixed standard. If you need one secret with CNN and another with Fox, then blame either or both networks for putting proprietary things into their Flash content, or maybe blame Adobe for not coming out soon enough with a new release of Flash and making us wait more than half a year between Flash 7 and Flash 9 with nothing in between.

But don't blame FC6. Fedora is a platform, and a very good one, and getting better all the time.

Temlakos