Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 08:21 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> For some people, having it running certainly causes a performance
> >> loss. Whether that's down to SELinux, itself, or the logging, I've
> >> not experimented with.
>
> Lyvim Xaphir:
> > Have you been able to get around the lag with selinux=0?
>
> Not that I want to be rude, but what other method do you think I used to
> determine it was faster without SELinux?

SElinux has three modes; enforcing (or "active"), warning (or
"permissive") and "disabled". From what you wrote here I glean that
you've only compared "active" with "disabled", the two modes you are
familiar with.  My question was really directed at getting to know if
you had touched on permissive mode with regards to performance.  I just
"assumed" that you would know that, which was my error.

I understand that "echo 0 > /selinux/enforce" switches an active
"enforcing" system to permissive mode, and "echo 1 > /selinux/disable"
is supposed to be equivalent to disabled entirely.  I was also thinking
that it would be interesting to observe how SElinux behaves with regard
to performance when the echo method is used to disable, as compared to
selinux=0.  Just for the heck of it.  Yes I know they are supposed to be
the same, but still experimental verification couldn't hurt.

No I'm not asking you to do it by any means, like I said I was just
probing to find out how involved you were with it.

>   You can't remove it, as we've
> established.  And I must have disabled it to be able to tell that there
> was a difference between having it and not.  So my tests were between
> having it enabled and not.  I can't think how else I would have tested
> that.
>
> Yes, it did make a significant difference.  But I've put up with the
> slow down, as that machine was an internet accesible WWW server.  I'd
> rather play safe.

Hmmm.  OK.

LX
--