FC6: Network transparency/Application awareness mismatches

When using either fish: or sftp: protocols to browse remote directories (via konqueror), many files, in particular MS-Word files and graphics will not open properly.

We did a little digging, and it looks like if, for example, you try to open an OpenOffice file via sftp, then konqueror is passing on the URL directly to OO, as if it should understand it, as in :

/usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice -writer sftp://user@host/path/filename.doc

If OO is supposed to understand this protocol, it's not working right. I don't think it is, though. I think konqueror is supposed to know that OO doesn't understand, and instead download the file to a temp directory, and call OO to open if from there.

That is the behavior I'm used to, and also the behavior I get if instead of "open" or "open with word processor" I specify "open with" / "/usr/bin/oowriter"

The same behavior seems to apply for Gimp as well.

Does anyone know how KDE is configured to specify that apps can handle sftp or fish protocols, and how we can fix this problem? Also, I can file a bug on this, but figured I'd ask first, especially in case I'm missing something obvious! :)

Thanks.

Ken
begin:vcard
fn:Kenneth Tanzer
n:Tanzer;Kenneth
org:Downtown Emergency Service Center;Information Services
adr:;;515 Third Avenue;Seattle;WA;98104;USA
email;internet:ktanzer@xxxxxxxx
title:Director of Information Services
tel;work:(206) 464-1570 x 3061
tel;fax:(206) 624-4196