Re: Hanging Website: TCP Problem?

AV> I was trying to visit the website www.nap.edu (National Academies
AV> Press) using my FC6 desktop machine, but firefox just grinds on it
AV> indefinitely with "Waiting for www.nap.edu...". I can telnet to
AV> port 80 of the site, and it connects, but after saying "GET /" it
AV> just hangs, and never returns anything.

Broken routers not handling TCP window scaling?  Try:
  echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
and see the thread starting at:
  http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/13/103

Unfortunately if this is the problem then disabling window scaling is
not really a proper solution; only fixing the broken network devices
works in the long term.

 - J<