Re: 2 questions about firefox I just have to ask.CORRECTION

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 19:20, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 11:04 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Is this the secret you are looking for ?
> > >
> > > Not sure where I found it - this list I think
> > >
> > > "In the past, you could tell mozilla how to handle a media file. They
> > > changed in Firefox, but there's a way to bring that feature back. In
> > > Firefox, type about:config at the url and find
> > >
> > > browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions
> > >
> > > Double click on it to set it to false. Then under
> > > Edit->Preferences->Downloads you should see all the media types and
> > > (theoretically) you could change the player. I didn't mess with that
> > > but it might just be the feature we want."
> > >
> > > John
> >
> > That is certainly an appropriate secret with 2 provisos:
> > 1. the about:config under FC4 (version 1.0.8) has no such option.
> > 2. In  FC5 and FC6 (verison 1.5.0.9 of firefox) has this entry in
> > about:config and it does what you indicate. However there is no plugins
> > tab so one can't choose plugins for audio for example .
> >
> > Another thing is it makes it obvious that the plugins in the various
> > plugin directories are not as important as the contents of mozplugerrc.
> > You helped a great deal but a mystery still remains.
>
> It is emarassing to have to keep posting corrections. Well a mystery
> remains but not the mystery I mentioned. I found the pluggins secti9on
> of Downloads but on my FC5 machine for audio input the list ways use the
> Windows Media Player Plugin . Well were did a Windows Media Player
> Plugin come from. Anyway I fixed the audio stream but now I have fouled
> up the video stream. I used to be able to play mpg files and the video
> from www.cnn.com not I can't. Also I can no way to change the plugin the
> stream uses.
>
> So a mystery still exists. Why does the plugin for video and audio/video
> streams go to RealPlayer 9 when it is the Realplayer 10 plugins that are
> installed. It is a mystery.
>

> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm probably going back over old ground here, but the Windows Media plugin
should be one of the plugins you get when you have Mplayerplugin installed.
You also get quicktime, and realmedia plugins with it, and some others.

The realmedia one is earlier than Realplayer10GOLD.bin, so it may be worth
checking all the places where plugins are installed, and removing any that
end in "rm".

Sorry if you've already tried this.

Nigel.