Re: 2 questions about firefox I just have to ask.CORRECTION

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 11:04 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 09:45 +0000, John Austin wrote:

> > > Aaron, which version of Firefox are you using?? Ric
> > >
> > > --
> > > ================================================
> > Is this the secret you are looking for ?
> >
> > Not sure where I found it - this list I think
> >
> > "In the past, you could tell mozilla how to handle a media file. They
> > changed in Firefox, but there's a way to bring that feature back. In
> > Firefox, type about:config at the url and find
> >
> > browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions
> >
> > Double click on it to set it to false. Then under
> > Edit->Preferences->Downloads you should see all the media types and
> > (theoretically) you could change the player. I didn't mess with that but
> > it might just be the feature we want."
> >
> > John
> That is certainly an appropriate secret with 2 provisos:
> 1. the about:config under FC4 (version 1.0.8) has no such option.
> 2. In  FC5 and FC6 (verison 1.5.0.9 of firefox) has this entry in
> about:config and it does what you indicate. However there is no plugins
> tab so one can't choose plugins for audio for example .
>
> Another thing is it makes it obvious that the plugins in the various
> plugin directories are not as important as the contents of mozplugerrc.
> You helped a great deal but a mystery still remains.

It is emarassing to have to keep posting corrections. Well a mystery
remains but not the mystery I mentioned. I found the pluggins secti9on
of Downloads but on my FC5 machine for audio input the list ways use the
Windows Media Player Plugin . Well were did a Windows Media Player
Plugin come from. Anyway I fixed the audio stream but now I have fouled
up the video stream. I used to be able to play mpg files and the video
from www.cnn.com not I can't. Also I can no way to change the plugin the
stream uses.

So a mystery still exists. Why does the plugin for video and audio/video
streams go to RealPlayer 9 when it is the Realplayer 10 plugins that are
installed. It is a mystery.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>