Re: vmware workstation is beating up my disk!

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:20:30 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote
> On 1/15/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I've not enabled them explicitly.  I didn't think that either was
> > > possible in the background in XP.  If it is, I'm not even sure where
> > > to look for it?
> >
> > Typing CTRL-ALT-DEL in Windows brings up a process manager window.  You
> > can browse that and see if you can detect the culprit process.
>
> I tried this, but windows only shows CPU process usage, not disk, and
> there are no offenders anyway.  Any other ideas?

To see whether XP is file indexing, go into exploerer, right click on the C:
drive, and goto the properties, and check to see whether the "index this
drive" is ticked. (Should be seein in one of the tabs, not running windows) If
so untick it.. (I do, as it tends to thrash the drive a bit, especially when
there's heaps of files)

Wolf