Re: vmware workstation is beating up my disk!

On 1/15/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> On 1/15/07, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > only when vmware is running?  btw, its not, i don't even have beagle
>> installed.

>> > nope

>> > about 2.1GB

>> indexing}
>> >
>> > office isn't installed, but it does have windows update set to run
>> > automagically.  but i really doubt that's the issue, as the disk
>> > polling is non-stop all the time, and windows update isn't always
>> > doing stuff.
>> >

>> Windows disk defragmentation or file indexing enabled?
>
> I've not enabled them explicitly.  I didn't think that either was
> possible in the background in XP.  If it is, I'm not even sure where
> to look for it?

Typing CTRL-ALT-DEL in Windows brings up a process manager window.  You
can browse that and see if you can detect the culprit process.

I tried this, but windows only shows CPU process usage, not disk, and
there are no offenders anyway.  Any other ideas?

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org