Re: cifs password length?

On Sunday 14 January 2007 19:16, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 17:12 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >----
>> >a samba user - say 'gene' must also be a Linux user too.
>>
>> gene is, albeit not a frequent login, usually via su.
>>
>> >there are many different password db systems that can be used for
>> > samba but /etc/samba/smbpasswd is the default if not specified
>> > otherwise. You may wish to check what you have set in smb.conf
>> >
>> ># testparm -sv |grep passdb
>>
>> Interesting Craig.
>>
>> After processing 3 sections, no errors shown,
>> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
>> 	passdb backend = smbpasswd
>> 	passdb expand explicit = no
>>
>> But I'm not 100% sure what that's trying to tell me.
>
>----
>I'm not 100% sure what that's trying to tell you either but I am
>gathering that you haven't 'added' the user gene to smbpasswd so trying
>to set a password for a non-existent user isn't going to work.
>
>Assuming that the user 'gene' is a user in /etc/passwd...
>
>smbpasswd -a gene # add user gene
>                  # you will be prompted for a password for this user
>                  # the results (user/password) will be added to
>                  # /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>Craig

Bingo!  Give that man a beer.  That *was* the magic twanger.

I had just booted it up, saw the wireless network start during the boot,
and then be torn down by NetworkManager. A network restart brought it
back, then I stopped NetworkManager and it was taken down.  That was the
last straw with this wannabe network tool, its stopped and off, and will
be nuked the next time I run yumex, the network restarted and everything
it working except samba, I haven't tried to mount it yet.  But as you
said, that smbpasswd file was where the name was missing.

Now I can't mount it because the lappy isn't at the address in the hosts
file, thanks to dhcp, but I'd think that if dhcpd in the dd-wrt I'm
using, has accepted a request from diablo.coyote.den, and assigned it an
address of 192.168.71.104, that its own dns should have kept track of
that so it could resolve requests for that machine.  I thought I had it
configured, but apparently not well enough.  So I can either go back to
fixed addressing, or fix the dns.  Study time, again..

Thanks Craig.  That's one more problem solved.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)