Re: RealPlayer 10 in FC6: Sound, But No Picture

On Sunday 14 January 2007 00:52, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 18:34 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 January 2007 17:23, Temlakos wrote:
> > > Everyone:
> > >
> > > Just installed RealPlayer 10. No dependencies detected. Setup Assistant
> > > ran through. But when I go to play a video, the mplayer-plugin wants to
> > > load, and of course it chokes. But more than that:
> > >
> > > When I download a "test video" from Real.com, I get sound, but no
> > > picture.
> > >
> > > When I go to play certain videos (specifically at foxnews.com), again I
> > > get sound, but no picture.
> > >
> > > On a hunch, I removed totem--completely. It was never doing anything
> > > for me anyway. (That's right--I never did get totem to play /any/ of my
> > > DVD's, and I have gnome-cd to play audio cd's.)
> > >
> > > That removed a lot of useless plugins. But it still didn't solve the
> > > problem of my not being able to play RealAudio or RealVideo content.
> > > Again:
> > >
> > > Download response: Sound, but no picture. Should have picture and
> > > sound.
> > >
> > > Site-visit response: Either sound, but no picture, or else mplayer
> > > tries to load, and then stops. (Mplayer will play other plug-in videos,
> > > so long as they're not too big. I tested that at apple.com's movie
> > > trailer site.)
> > >
> > > What hidden dependency have I missed?
> > >
> > > Temlakos
> >
> > It may be worth checking the Mplayerplugins. There are loads of them,
> > including one ending in .rm, which is the realmedia one, and is an
> > earlier version of realplayer.
> >
> > I'm still using FC2, and Mplayerplugins arn't automatically set up in
> > Firefox. I have to link to the ones I want to use. I have
> > realplayer10GOLD.bin installed, and can see video output, but because I'm
> > on dialup it's continually buffering because of lack of bandwidth.
> >
> > I'd suggest removing Mplayerplugins realmedia plugin, then reopen
> > Firefox, type "about:plugins" (without the double quotes), and see which
> > plugins are showing. You should see just one for realplayer10GOLD. Then
> > try the site again.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I just tried it in FC4 and it did not work for me. Nothing I do can get
> an audio stream from www.npr.org, let us say to be opened by realplay
> rather than mplayer and mplayer will not play the stream. If I send the
> stream directly to realplay it plays.
>
> Further I have never been able to affect the display of about:plugins in
> firefox. It still says that it will use RealPlayer 9 even though it is
> RealPlayer10 which is installed. I have made it work at times with other
> systems where when I first go to the audio stream it asks me whether I
> want to use RealPlayer of Windows Media Player. But on this machine I am
> not asked and it just does not work.
> Any advice?
> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sorry for being slow to come back. I've been working on the acpi/shutdown
problem, without much success.

Anyway I tried the site for audio with Firefox, which opened a window asking
me to select realplayer, or windows media player. I went for realplayer, and
got zilch. So,ok, I thought I'd try Windows media player. Shut down firefox,
opened it again from the link in Kmail, but no deal, it was still trying to
use realplayer. I gave it up last night as a bad job.

Anyway I cleared the Firefox cache, and anything else I could find to clear
today, and have tried the site again. Wonders of Wonders, I now have the
window asking me to select a player. Ok. I'll go for WMP this time, and about
1 minute later I get sound, and miraculously it's still playing sound with no
breaks.

So all that can be said is that the site works with Mplayerplugins .wmp
plugin, but doesn't seem to want to work with Realplayer10GOLD.bin.

I must say that you really need to be on the ball, and ready to try
alternative options with linux, but more often than not something seems to
work.

All the best Aaron.

Nigel.