Re: Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 11:41 -0800, Norm wrote:
> James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Norm wrote:
> >

> >> I have not been able to determine what vintage the processor in my old
> >> box is but with a 735 clock speed we can assume it is old.
> >>

> > With a 733(ish) processor speed, it was either a Pentium III on a 133
> > MHz motherboard or a Celeron on a 66 MHz motherboard. You can check by
> > running
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > The 733 MHz Pentium III was released in autumn 1999, the 733 Celeron in
> > autumn 2000.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, the 733 MHz Pentium III would have become
> > obsolete in mid 2001, and the Celeron maybe six months later.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > James.
> >

> Thanks James, before I emailed the list I checked cpuinfo, the
> information is not as clear as I had hoped. My guess is I am running
> close to the absolute usable minimum hardware set up which is older than
> he one in question and the issues involved are more than a generic P3
> FC6 issue below is the information from my cpuinfo file. I suspect that
> the box has its last FC upgrade and is nearing the end of its usable
> life as a test box (I might be able to extend its life a bnit if I can
> find some more RAM but the box is not worth spending any money on), even
> distros like Ubuntu don't run well on it, but at the price I paid for it
> I can't complain.
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 7
> model name      : VIA Ezra
> stepping        : 10
> cpu MHz         : 735.020
> cache size      : 64 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow up
> bogomips        : 1470.81

Here is what I have and I am running FC6.
[lesh@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 467.737
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr up
bogomips        : 936.11

	This was a straight install of the i386, later I upgraded the kernel
with instructions from this mailing list to the 686version.  Not too
much difference in performance.  My disk is pretty small (<30G) and
everything fits including quite large user file space (>20G mostly text
and photos).

Regards,
Les H