Re: Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Ric Moore wrote:
On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 18:18 +0530, Just Do it wrote:
Fedora 6 installation is not working in PIII, 256MB SD RAM(2 stick),
1.3GHz

Each time I try to install it hang during the installation
time...every time at different location....

I try with all possible option available in fedora 6 I guess....still
fails..
Tried around 20 time or so...not kidding :-)

I used FC5 to install to a PIII. Used text mode for the install. It's
slower than hell. The INSTALL-HOWTO will point out that you really need
some horsepower under the hood for FC6. If it says that 256MB is
minimal, you'll get minimal, if at all. Especially if memory is shared
with video. Then, you really don't have 256MB of ram. You'll have
X-amount less.
It's got all 8 cylinders firing and the bleeding edge means hardware as
well as software. Putting lipstick on a pig is still a pig, no
disrespect to your machine intended. You may be better served with
Ubuntu in this situation. Ric

I have not been able to determine what vintage the processor in my old box is but with a 735 clock speed we can assume it is old.

I did bump the RAM to 256, FC6 loads on this box although it does take a while and for most uses it seems to run well enough for home desktop and there are no significant user issues other than it is slow. I did find during some FC5 loads that the CD drive was a little finicky and used another slightly newer drive to do the installs.