Re: vlc and mplayer will not play studio-issue DVD on FC6

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 15:18 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> Am now wrapping up an FC6 install, and have a problem: Livna's vlc
> (VideoLAN Client) program will not play a studio-recorded DVD. It /will/
> play any disk that I have recorded, in standard-play mode, using my own
> (duly licensed) software.
>
> FC4 (my last version) handled this task without a problem.
>
> What has happened to vlc? Or could this be a kernel issue, waiting for
> the next version of the kernel to resolve it?
>
> Or is it an SELinux issue? I already had to allow "unconfined
> executables" to make their /stack/ executable in order for vlc to load
> at all.
>
> Mplayer has the same issue: it will play my home-burnt DVD's but will
> not play a studio-issue DVD.
>
> I tried vlc because, as usual, totem /will not/ play any of my DVD's. It
> keeps saying that I haven't installed the required plugins--and
> naturally I don't know where to acquire those.
>
> What am I missing? Where do I go to get plugins for totem, or whatever I
> need for vlc and mplayer?
>
> Temlakos

Try downloading the codac pack. Your shop baught DVD's are encrypted
where as your down loaded films would have had the encryption cracked,
especially if they have been shrunk down to 4Gb DVD writeable size. I
think you get the codacs from livna.